Was it happenstance that led the Haywards on their honeymoon to visit Beaudesert Hall the country seat and estate of the Paget family, the Marquesses of Anglesey?
Located on the southern edge of Cannock Chase in Staffordshire it was set to be demolished because the depression in Britain had left this country estate devasted by family debt and like so many others, uneconomic to run. In any case the family had another more comfortable house Plas Newydd on the Isle of Angelsey in north west Wales.
Beaudesert Hall was obtained by the Pagets in1546 and before this it had been the Bishops of Coventry and Lichfield’s hunting lodge. They were relieved of it following Henry VIII dissolution of the monasteries.
So here was all the history you could wish for and about to be turned into architectural salvage. So at the sale held at the site on 18 & 19 July 1935, Mr & Mrs Hayward purchased windows, doors, fireplaces, oak panelling and the staircase. This latter item it was noted in the contents catalogue ‘to be removed within 28 days after the sale’. They shipped the items back to Adelaide and had them incorporated in to the design of their new house Carrick Hill.
Beaudesert was documented by Country Life both in its magazine (22 Novemeber 1919)and in its superb volume on English Homes, Late Tudor & Early Stuart (1558-1649) by H Avary Tipping MA FSA.